Goodhue County (pop. 46,183) is between Rice County and the Mississippi River.
The county seat is Red Wing (pop. 16,459); Red Wing Shoes Company was founded in Red Wing in 1905, and the company is still headquartered there.
Barn Bluff in Red Wing is a landmark along the Mississippi, rising 400 feet above the river.
Amtrak’s “Empire Builder,” between Chicago and Seattle (and Portland), stops at Red Wing’s old Milwaukee Road depot.
The T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium opened in Red Wing in 1904.
Bob Dylan’s song “Walls of Red Wing,” recorded in 1963, was about the reform school for boys in Red Wing – now the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Red Wing.
The town of Zumbrota (pop. 3,252) has Minnesota’s last remaining covered bridge.
Cannon Falls (pop. 4,083) is the home of Pachyderm Studio, where Nirvana recorded “In Utero” in 1993.
NEXT: WABASHA COUNTY