Clark County (pop. 110,232) is south of Scott and Jefferson counties, on the Ohio River.
The town of Clarksville (pop. 21,724), adjacent to the county seat of Jeffersonville, was the oldest American town in the old Northwest Territory, dating from 1783.
The town was founded by Gen. George Rogers Clark (1753-1818) at the only seasonal rapids on the Ohio River; the town and county were named for him.
Clarksville has one of the world’s largest clocks – the 40-foot-diameter Colgate Clock, atop the former Colgate-Palmolive factory, which closed in 2007.
Falls of the Ohio State Park, along the river in Clarksville, is known for its exposed Devonian fossil beds.
Jeffersonville (pop. 44,953), the county seat, has been a center of shipbuilding since the early 19th century.
Jeffboat, formerly the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Company, is the largest inland shipbuilder in the U.S.
The George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge (1929), also known as the Second Street Bridge, goes from Jeffersonville to downtown Louisville, Kentucky.
Nearby is the Big Four Bridge, a former railroad bridge that now carries pedestrians and bicyclists.
Papa John’s Pizza began in Jeffersonville in 1984. The headquarters is now in Jeffersontown, Kentucky.
Jeffersonville has a 20-foot-tall statue of a woman, made of hubcaps.
NEXT: FLOYD COUNTY