Crawford County (pop. 10,713) is west of Harrison County, on the Ohio River.
It is one of 11 Crawford counties, which are named for three different people named Crawford. It’s uncertain which Crawford this one was named for.
The county seat of Crawford County is the town of English (pop. 645), third-smallest county seat in Indiana.
After English had six floods between 1959 and 1990, most of the businesses and residences in the town were moved about a mile south, away from Camp Fork Creek.
The Lucas Oil Golf Course, formerly the Old English course, opened in 2002. The front nine holes of the 18-hole course are in the flood plain.
Marengo Cave is in the nearby town of Marengo (pop. 828). The cave, discovered in 1883 by two children, is open for tours.
Marengo was named for the 1800 Battle of Marengo, in present-day Italy, between the French forces of Napoleon and Austrian forces.
The Marengo warehouse and distribution center has 4 million square feet of storage space in a former limestone quarry, 160 feet underground.
Much of Crawford County is in Hoosier National Forest.
The William Proctor House (1832) is now owned by the Crawford County Historical Society.
NEXT: PERRY COUNTY