Harrison County (pop. 39,364) is west of Floyd County, along the Ohio River. Its population has grown in every decade since 1940.
Harrison County in 1908
It’s one of eight Harrison counties, and one of the four named for President William Henry Harrison (1773-1841). He was governor of the Indiana Territory when the county was named.
The county seat of Harrison County is the town of Corydon (pop. 3,122), which was the capital of the Indiana Territory, 1813-16, and of the state, 1816-25.
The Capitol is now a State Historic Site.
The Battle of Corydon, in 1863, was the only Civil War battle fought in Indiana.
The current Harrison County Courthouse replaced the old State Capitol building, which was the courthouse for many years.
Built in 1929
The Harrison County Fair has been running for 156 straight years – the longest consecutively running fair in Indiana.
Indiana’s state Constitution was debated and drafted under the “Constitution Elm” in Corydon. The tree died in 1925, but its trunk is still a local landmark.
Dutch Elm disease killed it.
Harrison County has several caves that are open to the public. Indiana Caverns, just south of Corydon, is Indiana’s longest cave system.
Always 56 degrees underground
The town of Milltown (pop. 818), northwest of Corydon, has one of Indiana’s best shoe trees.
Horseshoe Southern Indiana, on the Ohio River, is the world’s largest riverboat casino, the largest riverboat in the U.S., and the closest casino to Louisville.
The riverboat is a four-deck casino.
Harrison Spring, just north of the unincorporated community of White Cloud, is the largest spring in Indiana. It has an average discharge of 100 cubic feet per second.
Owned by the Nature Conservancy
The steep hills of the Knobstone Escarpment are the most rugged terrain in Indiana.
NEXT: CRAWFORD COUNTY