Franklin County (pop. 30,768) is east of Oxford County. It is one of 24 Franklin counties (and one Franklin Parish) in the U.S.
The county seat of Franklin County is Farmington (pop. 7,760). Farmington is known as the “Birthplace of Earmuffs” because it was the hometown of earmuff inventor Chester Greenwood (1858-1937).
The Franklin County Courthouse was built in 1885.
The University of Maine at Farmington is a public liberal arts college. Founded in 1864 as Western State Normal School, it was the state’s first public institution of higher education.
Franklin County has several ski areas. Sugarloaf is the largest ski area east of the Mississippi River, in terms of the number of trails and skiable area.
Mount Blue State Park is near the town of Weld (pop. 419).
The town of Strong (pop. 1,213) was once known as the “Toothpick Capital of the World.”
The town of Kingfield (pop 997) is the home of the Herbert Grand Hotel, built in 1918.
The 42-mile Dead River flows from Flagstaff Lake to join the Kennebec River.
NEXT: KENNEBEC COUNTY