Indiana: Clark County

Clark County (pop. 110,232) is south of Scott and Jefferson counties, on the Ohio River.

Clark County in 1908

The town of Clarksville (pop. 21,724), adjacent to the county seat of Jeffersonville, was the oldest American town in the old Northwest Territory, dating from 1783.

The town was founded by Gen. George Rogers Clark (1753-1818) at the only seasonal rapids on the Ohio River; the town and county were named for him.

Brother of William

Clarksville has one of the world’s largest clocks – the 40-foot-diameter Colgate Clock, atop the former Colgate-Palmolive factory, which closed in 2007.

Formerly the world’s 2nd largest

Falls of the Ohio State Park, along the river in Clarksville, is known for its exposed Devonian fossil beds.

Visitor Center from above

Jeffersonville (pop. 44,953), the county seat, has been a center of shipbuilding since the early 19th century.

Howard Steamboat Museum

Jeffboat, formerly the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Company, is the largest inland shipbuilder in the U.S.

Recently building riverboat casinos

The George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge (1929), also known as the Second Street Bridge, goes from Jeffersonville to downtown Louisville, Kentucky.

Looking toward Louisville

Nearby is the Big Four Bridge, a former railroad bridge that now carries pedestrians and bicyclists.

2,500 feet long

Papa John’s Pizza began in Jeffersonville in 1984. The headquarters is now in Jeffersontown, Kentucky.

Jeffersonville has a 20-foot-tall statue of a woman, made of hubcaps.

NEXT: FLOYD COUNTY

indiana-counties-working

Indiana: Knox County

Knox County (pop. 38,440) is south of Sullivan County and east of Illinois. It’s one of nine counties named for Henry Knox (1750-1806), the first U.S. Secretary of War.

Bordered by the Wabash and White rivers

Knox County was one of the original counties in the Northwest Territory, in 1790, and included almost all of today’s Indiana, and parts of the present states of Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio.

Knox County in 1800 (before interstates)

The county seat of Knox County is the city of Vincennes (pop. 18,423), the oldest (1732) continually occupied settlement in Indiana.

Knox County Courthouse (1873)

George Rogers Clark National Historical Park, in Vincennes, commemorates Clark’s capture of Fort Sackville in the Revolutionary War.

Built in 1931

Comedian Richard Bernard “Red” Skelton (1913-1997) was born in Vincennes and grew up there, before entering vaudeville in 1934.

The Hall of Hollywood Hoosiers, in Vincennes, has a collection of memorabilia related to Indianans in the movies.

Open by appointment

Grouseland, the William Henry Harrison Mansion and Museum, is in Vincennes. Harrison (1773-1841), later the ninth president, lived there when he was governor of the Indiana Territory.

Built in 1804

Vincennes University is the oldest public institution of learning in Indiana. Founded in 1801, it has about 4,000 students.

Vincennes is also the home of the Indiana Military Museum.

New museum opened in 2013

The town of Bruceville (pop. 478) has a homemade, backyard roller coaster, open to the public, summer weekends only.

Bruceville also has a replica of the Washington Monument, next to a giant peach – a 1954 tribute to the Trylon and Perisphere at the 1939 New York World’s Fair.

Outside The Big Peach store

NEXT: DAVIESS COUNTY

indiana counties working