Sullivan County (pop. 6,428) is west of Wyoming County. It is Pennsylvania’s second-smallest county in population.
It’s one of six Sullivan counties, which are named for three different Sullivans. This one was named for Charles C. Sullivan, leader of the Pennsylvania Senate in 1847 who spearheaded the county’s creation. It was formerly part of Lycoming County.
The county seat of Sullivan County is the borough of Laporte, smallest county seat in Pennsylvania, with a 2010 population of 316. It’s also the state’s highest county seat, at an elevation of 1.972 feet.
The heavily forested county has two state parks: Ricketts Glen and Worlds End. Ricketts Glen State Park has 24 named waterfalls.
Ganoga Lake is one of Pennsylvania’s highest natural lakes, at 2,260 feet.
Football great Harold Edward “Red” Grange (1903-1991) was born in the community of Forksville (pop. 145) and lived there until he was five years old. His father was a lumber camp foreman in the area.
In the community of Eagles Mere (pop. 120), the volunteer fire department has created an ice toboggan slide in the winter since 1904. Riders go up to 45 m.p.h. down the hill.
The Eagles Mere Air Museum has about 20 vintage planes dating from 1908 to 1935.
In the unincorporated community of Lopez, five bombs aimed into the ground spell out “LOPEZ.”
The unincorporated community of Mildred has a retired MGM-13 Mace cruise missile outside the American Legion post.
Sullivan County has three old covered bridges, including Forksville Covered Bridge (1850).
NEXT: LYCOMING COUNTY